10.04.2011

Be Still

I've been afraid to post lately. Afraid of being mediocre, of wasting your time, of making a mistake in something about God.

Yes, I know, it was very vain of me, but it's the truth. So here I am again, hoping to make some sense and somehow help you to glorify God more. That's pretty much my purpose in life. :D I mean, not just through this blog, but... you know.

Anyhow.

My sister and I both have kindles. The other night, my sister says, "Hey guess what? They're making games for kindle. I tried one out and it actually worked!" 

"Cool," says I. Then I thinks, Wait. What?!?

The whole purpose of a kindle is to read. It's like a book, okay. But just in case you don't feel  like reading, you can play a game. Seriously?
What is wrong with this picture? There's nothing wrong with playing games, don't get me wrong, but my point is, it seems as if the culture is doing everything possible to make sure consumers aren't bored. Think about it - iPads, iPhones, tablets, kindles, you name it. Nothing is wrong with those things, but aren't they all designed so that we will never be bored?

In the physical therapy place I go (for my knee) they have magazines in the waiting room. Doesn't seem out of the ordinary, but if you start to think about it... do we really need magazines? We have to sit in a chair for five minutes - akkk!! Quick, give me something to read! I can't just sit there and think.  I must be entertained.

Yeah.

I am guilty of this, okay, I'm not trying to condemn anyone; I just think it's sad that our culture is like this. What if, every time we had to wait, we made a habit of praying? That would be trillions time more useful than reading a junky magazine to "pass the time." One thing I have been working on (but often forgetting) is praying every time my computer locks up or makes me wait. I encourage you to try it.

So yeah. Keep your eyes open, and you'll start to notice this around you. And the next time you have to wait in line, in an office, or wherever, just sit and think. Be still, and know that He is God.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Ariel. I feel so convicted =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this. :) Especially the part about praying when you're waiting or on your free time. Thank you for the encouragement to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew - thanks. :)
    Em - You're welcome! Oh, I didn't really mean to convict you... but I guess that's good. =)
    TJ - thanks and welcs! Yeah, I need to remember to do that more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 is one of the shortest verses in the Bible, it also one of the most direct (even when take in it's full chapter context):

    Pray without ceasing.

    If God is always with you, why ignore Him?
    Good word, Ariel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! I loved it!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Josh - So true. Wow, why do I forget so often that God is RIGHT here? I think this deserves a post someday soon...

    @Anna - You're so welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete